MY TRAVEL ESSENTIALS: (depending on the destination)
1) Passport: Duhhh….
2) Technical Pack: I’ve come to learn that when doing adventure traveling it isn’t so wise to use your roll on luggage. A technical pack is a must, especially when you are staying in more than one location.
3) Energy bars: since most of my travels consist of long hikes, dives, etc. I’ve been saved from “starvation” many times by these useful little munches. One goes a very long way.
4) Cameras and film: as a photographer, I have carried a very handy small backpack that holds all of my cameras such as my Rollei, underwater, hand held and digi SLR. And for those of you who still know and use film, always make sure to pack as much as you can fit.
FYI: If you are traveling long distance, on more than one airplane and scanner, be aware that your film can get exposed.
5) Tripod: You’ll find yourself alone in a beautiful setting.
Dilemma: wanting the moment to be immortalized through a photo, but have no one to take it for you.
Solution: bring a tripod and your problem is solved!
6) Bathing suit: always come prepared to do the unexpected and finding a water hole in the middle of the desert can happen!
7) Sunglasses, sun tan lotions and hats: protection from the sun √
8) Travel guides and maps: I cannot tell you how helpful these guides are, especially Lonely Planet. I have planned many trips around these guides and of course have used friends and the Internet to plan. But when I am in the country, it has always helped direct me to the right places. So go out and buy one.
9) Comfy shoes: it is a must and if you don’t want to loose a toe in the process please bring one with you.
10) Universal adapter: if you plan to bring anything electronic, you must obtain this adapter. Go to your nearest electronic store or amazon to purchase.
11) Travel light: no hassle, and most of the things you pack you don’t use anyways. So…
When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money. ~Susan Heller
*There are other essentials that have not been listed. So have fun packing and make sure you don’t forget your own travel essentials.